EMBF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apprentices - your experiences

2 posters

Go down

Apprentices - your experiences Empty Apprentices - your experiences

Post by TheBalloonPrintingCompany Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:20 am

I am self employed, work alone, and considering taking on a staff member part time.
Someone has pointed out to me I can get an apprentice for around £110 per week, full time, the same cost as employing someone for around 15 hours per week.

I love the idea of training someone up, on a full time basis, but my worries are that they are young, I could get someone like my 16 year old brother, who I employed over the summer, and putting it bluntly, was pants! He was not bothered, constantly late, no use of iniative between tasks. Also the school year ended a few months ago, the new one has started, have all the best ones been taken up?

What are your experiences of apprentices?

TheBalloonPrintingCompany

Back to top Go down

Apprentices - your experiences Empty Re: Apprentices - your experiences

Post by JournalistJohn Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:54 am

We have several apprentices at work, mixed bag really, some are so enthusiastic, others make a good cuppa.

My best advice is if you are a small company, hold off until the right one comes along, and put a probationary period in the contract, this is essential if you are recieving a grant.

JournalistJohn

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum